A patio is one way to enjoy the outdoors while still being comfortable. Many patios are simply a paved area in the garden with no roof or walls at all, but you can create an outdoor area with even more use if you add at least a roof.
At to your patio with a roof where you get more shade in the heat of the day and protection from sudden showers. Adding just one wall or screen on the windy side will have the same effect. Here are some more tips to make your patio a favourite place to hang out for everyone.
These days there are many floor covering choices from timber and tiles to treated cement, vinyl and carpet of different kinds. Many homeowners choose carpet for their floor covering in appropriate areas such as bedrooms, living/lounge rooms and often even dining rooms and halls. The only prerequisite is to have a good carpet cleaner when needed. There are several reasons for this.
- Carpet is aesthetically pleasing. It comes in many different colours, shades, patterns and textures so there is sure to be something to suit your decor, style and colour scheme. You can choose a neutral colour that will go with everything, but you can also make a statement with a specific colour or pattern in the carpet.
- Carpet is warm and soft underfoot. When the temperature plummets, homes are much colder with other types of flooring, but carpet on the floor is like having a thick blanket to walk on and keep your feet warmer.
- Because of its softness it is ideal for toddlers who tend to fall over a lot. It can save them sustaining nasty bumps and bruises when they fall on a carpet compared to tiles. It is also warm for them to sit on and play. Older residents can also be at risk of falls and having a carpet to land on will certainly help to prevent injuries and bruising.
Limestone will have a lot to offer when it is used as a paver. Yes, an outdoor paving material. It gives from a range of distinction in natural veining to more of its shades which in more ways make your outdoor garden, walkway, driveway exclusively more dramatic for viewing.
On completion, it speaks eye-catching such that any such person with a taste for diversified, unexplored areas of exterior decor will fully agree that limestone is worth the choice.
Reasons why natural limestone is an excellent paving material:
This property is well entwined with the ability of a material to withstand external forces of compression, torsion as well as shear. This should very well have the customer consider factors such as thickness of the paving blocks as well as the size of the blocks, not to mention the shape.
This is determined by factors appertaining to strength as well as corrosion resistance of the limestone blocks. These determine durability. Generally, for limestone, we have it well in facts that it is durable.
Any individual interested in aesthetics appealing to a variety of tastes. Be it the likes of an indoor garden, or than of the outer earthen-brown look, light volcanic-red or even faded cream-yellow. Limestone blocks are available in a variety of shades to fit an individual’s taste and particular need to implement to perfection their depicted mental picture of a perfect garden, a perfect backyard or for desired aesthetics.
With solar panels becoming ever more popular in Australia, anyone with Colorbond roofing or who is thinking about getting one will want to know whether it is okay to put solar panels up on such a roof. The simple answer is yes, but there are certain things you should be aware of before you start.
For a start, only allow a professional tradesman to do the work – and make sure they have a good reputation. Unfortunately, there are professionals whose work is nothing short of shoddy and who just want to get the job done quickly and go – after getting paid, of course. Choose someone who is proud of their standard of work and cares about doing the job properly.
When walking on any roof, but particularly on Colorbond, you should wear shoes with soft soles that will not scratch the surface of the paint. In addition, it is important to tread only on the top of the corrugations, never in the bottom part, especially if you have chosen a profile with a wide pan or valley. The top curve is the strongest part. It is also wise to only tread where the steel sheeting is supported by the timber frame underneath.
In this age of condo and apartments, gardening is limited to balconies and few potted plants that appeal to aesthetic sense and go well with the décor of the house. Those living in houses built on their own land create a garden in and around the home with care. Both attempts are worthy for the environment.
All household dwellers with gardens shall make a conscious attempt to make an eco-friendly garden that protects the environment and the soil. Make a choice of products that sustain the earth and are easily recycled. Waste reduction is also very important. The facts highlighted by research are that home gardens:
- slow down climate change through carbon imprint,
- reduce energy cost, and
- cut down waste
Use garden waste to make manure pit for the garden. It breaks down quickly into moisture and nitrogen. It will diminish landfill waste, enrich the soil and reduce the cost of market manure for your garden. Household waste takes long to rot comparatively. It gives carbon and fiber. Both composts are good for plants. Compost pit is harmed by weeds, pet ease, sick plants, and soiled nappies as unwanted pests live on it.
Building sites are known to be one of the most hazardous places to work, but within the site, scaffolding would have to be the most dangerous area, simply due to its very nature of being up high with narrow walkways that often have to be traversed with heavy loads. It is to everyone’s benefit that scaffolding accidents be prevented. The worker will certainly benefit, while the employer will save time and costs in keeping employees accident free.
Many scaffolding accidents can be prevented by using common sense. For instance, the walkways should be kept free of debris, equipment and materials so that access is safer. Tripping over or having to step over rubbish is always going to cause problems. Cleanliness on the site is also important. If oil or grease is spilt anywhere on the building site and it gets trodden in, then it will be carried on workboots into other places such as the scaffolding. If the walkways get oil on them, they will become very slippery and dangerous to all who have to work there.
The whole idea behind working from home is to give you the comfort and ease which…well only our HOMES can give. The narrow depressing confines of crowded office cubicles can be a game ender in the true sense and that’s why more and more entrepreneurs are deciding to call in the removalists and opting for the “work from home” option.
Now that, you have made the decision of managing your business sitting in your living room, you must also make it a point to create the best home office space which would not only give you the creative independence but also inspire you to work more! Here are some tips which you should remember while creating the best workspace for you ever.
And what is more generous than a window?
So goes the famous last line from the poem by Pat Schneider. Well, we believe that a window is only as generous as you allow it to be. And the manner in which you have it designed is the key aspect to be taken care of. If you are moving into a house that has already had its windows designed, you can work around it and add your own little quirks to make sure you get the design right. There is, after all, always a way.
Discussed below are some of the most important aspects that go into the making of the right window design.
Residential properties whether apartment complexes or individual homes that consist of more than a single floor, require elevator machines to transport the residents and goods between the various levels. This is not a mere luxury element any more. With the evolution of residential apartments into complexes with multiple stages, residential elevators have become a necessity.
Naturally, engineering and design joined forces and after a number of trials and errors, and the elimination of several models of residential lifts, four primary kinds of elevator designs emerged as the winners. These are the most commonly used home elevators, and each of them have their own unique features, as we will learn further.
Premium Materials to Use on Your Kitchen Renovation
When we speak of home improvement, kitchen renovation is one of the most integral areas of renovation. Without compromising on the choice of using quality materials, we can still make the remodelling process cost effective.
To get the results you desired for your dream kitchen design it is essential to use premium quality materials. To uplift the ambience of your kitchen, the finishing touches and aesthetics play a vital role. For example, if a newly furnished kitchen has cheap quality cabinets and shelves, the overall look of the kitchen will certainly not be that of an expensive and classy one.
In the middle of a routine, busy schedule, the time you spend relaxing, rejuvenating, and refreshing yourself in the bathroom is perhaps one of the few extended breaks you may get. This is true regardless of whether you are a professional who is working full-time, a work-from-home kind of person, or even a stay-at-home mom. Somehow, the stress manages to catch up with everyone.
Styling you bathroom in an aesthetically inviting manner will help you fight the blues away. And these styling projects need not always involve a stretchable budget, endless hours, and a panel of experts. You can give the most beautiful finishing touches to your bathroom space by trying a few of these DIY techniques.
Sprucing up your poolside and lawn with an aesthetic garden that blends into the landscape can be a visual treat. However you need to have a good maintenance routine for the different foliage. If you want your poolside garden and lawn to provide a pleasant and natural ambience you will need careful planning not only for design and architecture but also the know-how on the type of plants best suited for your location.
When you’re in Australia, a Landscape Design professional will tell you that having a garden surrounding a pool or grown on your lawn can be challenging. Here are some helpful plantation tips for poolside gardens and lawns.
How do you know you have arrived in life? Well one way to know for sure is to check whether you have a beautiful pool at your backyard and if you have one….well you know what to assume. Having a pool also means organizing great pool parties, so you do need to put a bit more effort in there and maintain that beauty to impress everyone around you.
Here are some great tips to decorate your swimming pool areas, which would turn all your parties to success and friends into envious rivals.
- Invest in a unique Theme inspired range– The theme could be anything that matches your style and personality. Quirky or elegant, keep a colour code and theme in mind and stick with it. It could be mythical Atlantis or crazy Disneyland inspired fountains, but the accessories and sets should match up to the same idea to make an impact. Inflatable mermaid water toys and inspired diving lofts and ladders add up to the style.
Is there any difference between contemporary and modern architecture? This is a question commonly asked by many. The main reason for this is because most of us can’t clearly differentiate the two. Most of the people interchangeably use the two wording brings about more confusion. A proper differentiation of the two is the only solution to this.
When the term modern design is used, it is a defined style that was created during 1920-1950.This is a defined style that is usually associated with this period. The style is constant and does not change. This design emphasizes the sparing use of interior design, use of clean lines and an asymmetrical building design. A modern home is characterized by white walls with an occasional pop of bright colour. Most of the floors are bare.
The contemporary design means plans that are being created and produced as of the present time. This style is dynamic and is constantly changing. It is not tied to a specific style but keeps on changing with time. This design has a tendency of borrowing small pieces of designs from other eras. Currently, contemporary homes are embracing large windows, odd shades and an open plan that is in harmony with the surrounding landscape.
It is not difficult to create a lovely home when there are many colours to choose from. While Colorbond had many beautiful colours suitable for any style of roof, they haven’t rested on their laurels. Rather, they got to work and created six more that also reflect different aspects of our unique environment. The names tell us a lot about what inspired these colours.
- Basalt – chosen from the dark grey rocks often found in our creeks and cliffs.
- Cove – this is a lighter grey with a yellowish tint that comes from the sedges and grasses growing on our windswept coastal reaches.
- Gully – there are many gullies in Australia. This is a mid grey that reflects elements of rocks, gravel, soil and native bushes in them all.
- Mangrove – most people know about our amazing coastal mangrove areas that are alive with crabs and other creatures of the sea and swamps – a blend of deep grey and green in new roofing colours.
- Terrain – a dark brown that is not quite chocolate, this is a mix of the many different terrains in Australia, the reds and yellows of the Australian outback tempered with red soil plains and the darker hues of many wheat and wine-growing regions.
- Wallaby – this soft but strong grey with a tiny hint of blue reminds us of one of our unique, furry creatures.
A lift or an elevator is a device which is used for lowering or raising people. Elevators are largely used in offices, hospitals, educational institutions and multi storey buildings. Lifts take the hurdles out of having to climb up infinite flights of stairs, saving you a good deal of wasted energy and time in the entire process. The important feature of a lift or an elevator is that they are a great way of saving space. Home elevators or lifts are used in the residences of people helping people in rising up to lowering down in the building. The benefits of home lifts are as follows:
- Saves up space: Elevators occupy a very little space when compared to stair case. This can give rise to living in larger area. When stair cases are built, it consumes a larger space when compared to elevator.
- Comfortable: When people use elevators they can comfortably go up and down of the building. People need not waste their energy in climbing up the stair case.
- Quicker Elevation: The movement between the storeys is very quick when compared to climbing of stairs. In case of emergencies these are said to be largely preferred.
- Easier for elders and differently able people: For elderly people and differently people it is always difficult to walk up in the stair case. An elevator is highly useful for them as their movement is eased.
Fencing is a mandatory practice in most corporate settings, although many businesses do not give it the importance it requires. Even when it comes to residential properties, fencing is advisable. In most cases, the aid of an expert is sought for the setting up of the fence. However, there are some of us who prefer to do it on our own, only ensure that you adhere to the Building Act QLD. Whichever side of the shore you belong to, it is a good idea to learn about the common mistakes in fencing, so that you can avoid making them. Also, it serves as a good set of pointers.
Explained below are some of the most common mistakes made in the art of fencing.
- Spacing the posts and poles – One the primary disadvantages of using too few posts is that the space between two adjacent pieces ends up being too high. This results in defeating the entire purpose of fencing, which is to offer security to the property that is fenced. Spacing them too close together will give the appearance of imprisonment. The key is to space them right, perhaps around fifty feet apart. This way, they aren’t too close or too far apart. Balance is of primary importance here. You can even use a ‘stay,’ which is a post that is placed on the ground in order to support the wires.
- Taking care of the roots – The fence needs to be firmly implanted and grounded. Otherwise the entire thing will collapse in a few days or weeks. Sometimes, the security fencing may not even last a few hours. Ideally, about one-third of the post or pole needs to be inserted into the earth in order to offer a strong and reliable foundation. An easy way to test the firmness of the implantation is to manually shake them up. If they withstand the pressure, you’re probably good to go. You can also use cross posts to add greater support. These can be placed horizontally across two or more poles.
Residential swimming pools are no longer a mere luxury commodity. Small homes and tiny backyards are also becoming ideal places to design and install cozy and compact pools. The key factor to be taken into consideration is the special arrangement of the home and its surroundings. Accordingly, a number of ideas can be put together to design your swimming pool effectively.
Some of the popular ideas have been collected and compiled by us, so you can benefit from them.
- In-ground pools – Pools like these are designed to be exactly at ground level, and you can quite literally just walk into them. These pools can be created out of a number of materials like fiberglass, concrete or even vinyl. Adding trees and tall plants along its borders and edges can increase the mysterious look of the pool.
- Indoor pools – If your home does not have a lot of outdoor space, but you would love to take a dip anyway, it is an ideal plan to move your dream pool inside your home. Indoor pools are the answer in such situations. Besides, you can enjoy long hours in the water without the worry of being exposed to too much sunshine or harsh weather conditions.
- Ceilings for indoor pools – You might want to replicate the night sky in your indoor pool. The best way to do this is to install LED fixtures in the ceiling of your indoor pool. Additionally, you can also paint your ceiling with radium paints to make them resemble a star studded sky.
Top 5 Myths on Garden Landscaping Debunked
The internet is flooded with information and ideas on professional landscaping. How do you know how much of this is true, and how much is plainly false information? The truth is, with so much of data floating around, separating the facts from the myths can be difficult. To help you out with this, we have compiled a list of the top five myths about garden landscaping, and the truth about them.
The Myth: Watering your garden in the evening helps conserve water.
The Truth: Many people believe that watering the garden after the sun goes down helps to conserve water and makes it go further in, and at the same time, it is important to ensure that you adhere to building standards and tolerances especially where water conservation is required, such as drought prone areas. The incorrect reason behind this myth is that people believe that watering the plants when the sun is out makes the water dry out faster and perhaps even before the roots have a fair chance to absorb the moisture. On the contrary, the truth is that watering the garden at night only ends up making the water remain on the lawn surface. This increases the growth of lawn fungus and bacteria.
7 Ideas for Renovating Compact Kitchen
Perceptions regarding the size that define a compact kitchen vary from person to person. Normally, the standard 10′ x 10′ size is accepted for small kitchen.
Before considering various kitchen renovation ideas, the first thought that brushes past compact kitchen owners is that, their kitchen size would limit various amazing kitchen remodelling designs. On the contrary, smaller kitchens actually do have some advantages to boast about.
What to Plant around Your Pool
Garden pools are increasingly becoming a favorite component of residential landscapes. Even homes that do not boast of a large land area are opting for garden designs that allow them to fit in cozy little pool. In order to refrain from messing up with the aesthetics of the shrubbery, it is important to choose the right plants to ornament the edges of your pool.
Before going into the details of what plants to choose, it is necessary to understand which ones to avoid. This considerably narrows down the scope of plants available to decorate your pool, and makes the whole process of decision making easier.
Modern Kitchen Furnishing: Stylish Kitchen Designs
We all know that the kitchen is the heart of every home. It is the one place where the whole family spends quality time together over meals. Over time, the kitchen has become a multi-utility area in every household where members not only cook but use it as a dining place or entertainment area.
The present day kitchen is designed with practicality and warmth in mind. It is designed to look like the rest of the house with similar colour schemes with matching cabinets and flooring etc. Great kitchen designing lies in its usage and maintenance.
Ingenious Ideas for Designing Your Home Office
Did you think that having to work from home meant calling in the furniture removalists or adding extra space, or clearing out a spare bedroom, in order to establish your home office? Well, think again. Designing an office space for your work at home is a much simpler task than you have imagined. There a few essentials that you much absolutely not compromise upon, in order to achieve your highest level of productivity. That apart, you do not have to sweat the small stuff.
As the ideas and designs explained further will go on to prove, you can create the perfect workspace at home with a few simple hacks.
Gardens need to be watered regularly, and the old system of taps and hosepipes has almost been buried for good. With landscaping becoming increasingly popular in most suburban homes and countryside villas, the concept of adding an aesthetic twist to one of these most basic gardening activities has caught on like wild fire. The simple logic behind this wonderful trend is this – if you’re going to have to water your plans anyway, why not make it an art?
As a result, a number of water features have become popular among garden enthusiasts and the home handyman. We have compiled a list of some of the most unique water feature architecture.
What is commercial landscaping?
Landscaping is the art of designing, developing, and maintaining a given area of land in an aesthetically pleasing manner. There are several kinds and aspects of landscaping. Garden landscaping, swimming pool landscaping, residential landscaping, and commercial landscaping are some of the many examples. Commercial landscaping is the practice of maintaining and managing the space around commercial establishments like office, retail and apartment complexes, commercial towers, and business premises. Several of the practices involved in commercial landscaping resemble the techniques in residential landscaping. There are, however, a few minor differences in the approach adopted in the practice of commercial landscaping.
It is easy to understand the ‘why’ when it comes to watering the plants in your garden. However, the ‘when’ and the ‘how’ are often the most misunderstood aspects of the practice of gardening. This can literally make or break your garden. Therefore, it is best to understand what reticulation practices are good, and what methods spell disaster.
Tackling the ‘when’ –
Truth be told, there is no right time or wrong time to water your plants. The ideal time depends on a number of factors such as the climatic conditions in the area concerned, the type of plants that need to be watered, the kind of soil they are planted in, and a number of other criteria. A little trick to work around this arbitrary situation is to check the soil.
10 Reasons Why You Should Choose Premium Aluminium Windows for Your Home
Are you still stuck to wood or vinyl windows? It is time to update and switch to the better options that are available at minimal prices. Premium aluminium home windows are a current favourite among the masses.
Here are 10 reasons for their huge popularity:
- Strength: When deciding on a window for your home one of the essential factors that everyone prioritizes is its durability. In that case, Aluminium windows last for a long period of time for its strength and its resistant feature which eliminates all signs of deformation and decay. Again, it is pretty simple to use aluminium in constructing different shapes as it is light-weight.
- Maintenance: People often have preconceived notions that aluminium windows are tough to maintain. Not at all! All you need is water and sponge to wipe it clean within minutes. Moreover, you do not even need to paint or touch-up aluminium windows as they are pre-manufactured in a broad range of colours.
- Energy Efficient: As compared to the other expensive window options like vinyl and fiberglass, aluminium windows can successfully meet energy efficiency standards successfully. Excellent prevention of heat gain and heat loss through the windows is a superb feature that makes aluminium windows stand out.
3 French Style Home Design Remodelling Ideas
Designing a home may take up a lot of research, especially, when you are planning on a unique and elegant one. To be precise if you have zeroed down on a French style home design, then you should be aware that it includes many huge designs adding up to thousands.
To make your task simpler here are three chief categories of French style home decor that you can achieve quite easily.
Remodelling in French Provencal Fashion
Provencal is a style which is quite simple and natural. The home design ideas stated below concern Mayle/Luberon Provence for their fame among masses:
- For your living area, build a manufactured stone veneer fireplace. If you are unable to do so, you can heap stone around the oven area within your kitchen.
- Go for Ocher colours. You can easily avail them for well-known paint manufacturers.
- For the floors install terra cotta tiles. These can be slightly expensive and are best suited for small spaces. For a warm and soft feel on the floors opt for antique French oak flooring in your living spaces.
Choosing from a large variety of options is always a tough activity. When it comes to gardening, there are innumerable choices to pick from. Sometimes, it is easy to select the right plants, if you have years of gardening experience to fall back on. However, if you’re just starting out, the number of plant choices available at your disposal can be overwhelming.
In order to get a clearer picture of how to go about picking the right plants for your space, we have compiled some recommendations.
10 Effective And Practical Tips To Make You An Expert In Gardening
So you want to become an expert gardener? Well, if you’re passionate about working amongst nature and love flowers, have an eye for design, then you certainly have what it takes to become one.
Gardening requires practical and viable solutions that go hand in hand with the raw resources at your disposal. You also need to have the right attitude because unless you aren’t interested in gardening, it would only seem a tedious and muddy task in which case call professional help. But if you are zealous enough, then your personal touch can create for yourself a beautiful garden with a landscape to match.
Here are 10 effective do it yourself tips to make you an expert gardener.
The most basic and primary need for gardening and planting is soil. The best way to enrichen soil is to build a compost pit to produce organic matter through waste material. Dry leaves, dead wood, used tea leaves, leafy vegetables waste, peelings, are great sources nourishment for compost matter. Soil enriched with compost ensures healthy plants.
Choose plants like perennials that require low maintenance. Astibles, Siberian Iris, bleeding hearts, yucca, yarrow and ornamental grass not only require less work but also lend an aesthetic look to your garden not to mention the beautiful colors of the flowers. Such plants don’t require constant staking or deadheading.
The 4 Best Kinds of Security Fencing You Should be Investing In
Security is an important aspect of all areas of life. Whether a property is of a residential character, or of a commercial nature, security is extremely important. Homes need to be secured against threats to property and lives, while commercial establishments require protection against loss of sensitive information in addition to safeguarding property and lives.
So, no matter what category you fall in, if you are considering the option of investing in a dependable security fencing system, it is best to learn the facts about the best kinds of fencing before you seal a deal. That way, you can make an informed decision.
The 4 Best Kinds of Security Screens for Your Home’s Windows
Often times, people spend a lot of money and time in making sure that the doors of their homes are properly secured. Sadly, they forget to ensure that their windows are well-guarded as well. This results in unexpected break-ins and loss of lives and property. In order to counteract and nullify this threat, security screens for doors and windows were invented. Today, there are several kinds of security screens available in the home furnishing market. While you obviously need to consider the aesthetic aspects of the product you decide to buy, it is of primary importance to make sure that they screen satisfies its main purpose – security.
The best kinds of screens available are –
- Stainless Steel Mesh Screens – Stainless steel screens that are finely woven are incredibly strong, and they are flexible as well. This makes it impossible to break through it or even to kick in. There are versions of the stainless steel mesh screens that have been cyclone approved and fire approved, making them an invaluable asset to the security of your home. The best part about these mesh screens is that you can enjoy high levels of protection without having to shut your windows off, as the mesh allows for natural air circulation.
So you haven’t tried our hand at gardening ever before? Or perhaps, have you tried it a few times and failed to create the perfect haven? Not to worry. By following a few tips and tricks, as given below, you can create a beautiful garden space of your own.
- Clean up the space – This is the most obvious way to begin setting up and planting a garden of your own. Mow up the entire space, and weed out the surface completely. Rake the yard up during the spring in order to remove the debris that accumulates over autumn and winter. This clean up helps to prepare your space for a lush collection of plants.
- Prepare the soil – The key to a great garden is good soil. The soil needs to be fed with nutrients in order to prepare it for supporting a plethora of plant life. In order to achieve this, you need to add layers of organic matter to the soil. For established or predesigned soil beds, it is advisable to allow the layer of organic matter, consisting of manure, dried leaves, and compost, to sit on the surface for a few weeks, so that it can work its way into the soil bed. In case you are making do with the naturally available soil surface, you can dig it and let the manure mix fill the gaps.